Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Mental Health and Addiction Counselling
Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Mental Health and Addiction Counselling (Level 8)
The Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Mental Health and Addiction Counselling (Level 8) is a new and innovative programme designed to support the development of the mental health workforce within whānau, hapū and iwi, and other communities and industries. It aims to support those already working in the field as well as those looking at potential career shifts into the mental health sector. Graduates will be eligible to apply for registration with the Drug and Alcohol Practitioners’ Association Aotearoa (DAPAANZ).
The programme is designed to give practitioners an extensive knowledge and practice of modern mental health and addiction therapies. Integration of tikanga and āhuatanga Māori into practice enables practitioners to create their own kaupapa practice frameworks.
Dates25 Feb 2022 to 01 Dec 2022
Duration36 weeks and 4 weeks’ vacation (full-time)
CommitmentBlended learning including noho, wānanga, online learning and self-directed learning
Applications close25 Feb 2022
FeesTuition fee: $1518 per paper
This programme is a 120-credit qualification consisting of five compulsory 24-credit kōwae ako (modules). In addition, tauira must successfully complete 120 hours practicing as an Addictions Practitioner under supervision.
Kōwae Ako 1 - Te Korekore (24 credits)
- This course is designed to give tauira an opportunity to explore their own whakapapa and that of the mental health and addiction field. They will also critically analyse and apply healing therapies using a range of communication skills.
Kōwae Ako 2 - Te Pō (24 credits)
- This course is designed to give tauira a broad range of theoretical knowledge of the field of mental health and addiction and its potential relationship with tikanga and āhuatanga Māori.
Kōwae Ako 3 - Te Wheiao (24 credits)
- This course is designed to give tauira a broad range of skills and knowledge associated with mental health and addiction frameworks and the integration of tikanga Māori into those frameworks.
Kōwae Ako 4 - Te Ao Mārama (24 credits)
- This course is designed to give tauira the skills to create their own practice framework and use it to apply modern clinical therapies in a counselling role.
Kōwae Ako 5 - Mauri Ora (24 credits)
- This practice-based course is designed to give tauira expertise in assessment and intervention work with those who are affected by alcohol and drug issues, and co-existing problems.
Whakapā mai/Contact us
For more information please contact us
Te Rangimaria Warbrick
- Phone: 022 127 1925
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested? Make an enquiry
We will email you an info pack