Entry to the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Mental Health and Addiction Counselling (Level 8) is open to applicants who meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must have:
- a Bachelor’s degree (Level 7); OR
- a Graduate Diploma (Level 7); OR
- a qualification considered as equivalent to Bachelor/Graduate Diploma at Level 7 by NZQA;
- have worked clinically for at least two years before commencing the programme; OR
- Special Admission may be granted to applicants without a formal qualification, where an applicant is over the age of 20 years at the start of the programme and they can provide sufficient evidence of work experience, skill, education, background knowledge in mental health and addictions (those working with tangata whaiora who are affected by addiction could also be considered), commitment, and support to successfully undertake the programme of study; AND
- have worked clinically for at least five years before commencing the programme; AND
- All applicants must:
at the time of study must be working clinically in a therapeutic setting in mental health provision, with a focus on addiction, AND
- pass a Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check (include vulnerable children act check); AND
- applicants must have access to mental health and addictions work, for at least 120 hours (minimum) of supervised practice over one year (full time) by an DAPAANZ approved supervisor; AND only if applicable
- must have been in recovery for a minimum of two years for any substance or process addictions and offending with appropriate evidence.
- NB: Work placements are NOT arranged for tauira.
English Language Requirements
- Applicants whose first language is not Te Reo or English must provide evidence of English language competence. This evidence may be in the form of IELTS academic band score of 6.5 (overall), with no individual band less than 6.0 equivalent (as defined by NZQA, for tauira who are unable to evidence their Te Reo or English competency through a formal qualification, at least, at level 7).
All applicants will undergo a selection process.
NOTE: THIS PROGRAMME IS STILL SUBJECT TO NZQA APPROVAL
Note for enrolment: As this programme is awaiting NZQA approval, we are unable to take enrolments at this time. You are invited however to register your interest and enquire with us. Click the 'Enquire' button to complete an enquiry form and one of our team will be in touch.