Te Pou Hono ki Toi
Te Pou Hono ki Toi
This level 4 programme is intended for people who seek to develop a broad range of skills required to support and participate in mahi toi within marae communities.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to apply a broad range of mahi toi skills to support their whānau, hapū, iwi and marae communities. They will also improve their knowledge, understanding and skills of mahi toi and how to participate in the development of toi in marae communities.
What you will Study
- This marae-centred programme is intended for people who seek to be engaged and broaden their skills in Mahi Toi of their marae.
- The qualification meets the needs of whānau, hapu, iwi and other Māori organisations wanting to grow capacity,
capability, and knowledge within the marae to research and practice traditional arts of their ancestors.
What you will Learn
- A range of communication skills relevant to the cultural and artistic development of marae and their communities.
- Participate in broad operational and theoretical knowledge associated with the traditional cultural artistic development of
- Reflect on and evaluate your practices of cultural artistic development of marae, hapū and/or iwi.
DurationOptions include 12, 14, 16, 18, 36 weeks
CommitmentWeekend noho, wānanga and self-directed learning as per cohort preference
Applications closeon demand
LocationsAvailable nationally based on demand
RequirementsMin age 17. Open entry. A desire to develop and empower marae communities
FeesTuition fees free
Ngā korero a ngā tauira
Rāroa Marae, Te Waimana
Rāroa Marae, Te Waimana Kaaku. Ko Tamaruarangi te hapū, ko Te Poho ō Tāne Moeahi te whare tipuna.
Karangahape Marae, Matangirau, Te Tai Tokerau (Northland) have done Iwi Development programmes since 2006
Iwitea has been with Awanuiārangi for nearly 10 years. It has changed everything for us. Our first programme was Community Education and it was about whakapapa.
Papatūānuku Kōkiri Marae
Papatūānuku Kōkiri Marae engages in our Community Education, Te Pou Hono, Kai Oranga and Te Pōkaitahi Reo Programmes
Pupuaruhe (Toroa) Marae
Pupuaruhe (Toroa) Marae have completed Community Education and Te Pou Hono programmes with Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi
Ngatai Whakarongorua Marae
Ngatai Whakarongorua Marae, Tinopai completed marae programmes with Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi
Tomo mai ki Awanuiārangi
School of Iwi Development
The School of Iwi Development’s goal is to facilitate te whakapakaritanga me te hiki i te mātauranga o te iwi Māori i roto o Aotearoa. Its role is to bring hapū members together to learn about themselves, and to provide a stairway to higher learning.
Wānanga learning style
Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi delivers programmes that are distinctive in many ways. We are unique in the tertiary sector of New Zealand, as we are the only wānanga that delivers programmes from foundation through to PhD.
Whakapā mai/Contact us
Dr Te Hauauru Tahi-Rangihau
National Programme Co-ordinator - Te Pou Hono, Te Waharoa Community Education
- Phone: +6473063271 or +64275271570
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested? Make an enquiry
We will email you an info pack