Entry to Te Tohu Paetahi Ako: Bachelor of Education (Teaching) is open to applicants who meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age: 18 years
Minimum qualification - Student entry is open to application who:
- have successfully completed a relevant Level 4 certificate; or
- Level 3 Te Reo Māori competency
- have University Entrance (For the purposes of entering an Initial Teacher Education programme, applicants (both domestic and international) under 20 years must have gained UE through one of: NCEA via Level 3 requirements in three subjects from the approved list and Level 3 Te Reo Māori. For applicants 20 years and over must have a Level 4 qualification and Level 3 competency in Te Reo Māori.
- meet Teaching Council New Zealand/Matatū Aotearoa requirements
- meet Vulnerable Children Act requirements (A safety check will be completed to ensure you meet all the requirements as set out in section 31 of the Vulnerable Children Act 2014)
- meet Teaching Council New Zealand/Matatū Aotearoa requirements for conduct
- Students wishing to enrol in Te Tohu Paetahi Ako: Bachelor of Education (Teaching) must provide evidence of their ability to successfully pursue and complete a Bachelor degree; and demonstrate an interest or involvement in teaching and learning.
Teaching in Aotearoa, New Zealand
All applicants whose first language is not English must meet the language competencies requirements released by Teaching Council New Zealand on 1 July 2019.
Special entry requirements
- Students who do not meet these criteria, but have special circumstances that warrant further consideration, can be admitted through an interview and assessment process at the discretion of the Head of the School of Undergraduate Studies.
- All students offered placement in a teaching degree will be required to complete a police vetting form. Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi will forward these applications to the New Zealand Police vetting service for processing.
- Numeracy and Literacy competency assessment
- Level 3 Te Reo Māori competency assessment
- CV and experience working with kōhungahunga or tamariki
- Established computer literacy