Entry to Te Tohu Paetahi Ako: Bachelor of Education (Teaching) is open to applicants who meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age: 18 years
- if an applicant is under 20 years of age at the time of enrolment, they must have University Entrance as defined by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA)
- if an applicant is over 20 years of age at the time of enrolment, they must have University Entrance as defined by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) or have successfully completed a level 4 certificate of at least 40 credits at Level 4 or above in a subject that is relevant to teaching
- meet Teaching Council New Zealand/Matatū Aotearoa requirements
- meet Vulnerable Children Act requirements (A safety check will be completed to ensure you meet all the requirements as set out in section 31 of the Vulnerable Children Act 2014)
- meet Teaching Council New Zealand/Matatū Aotearoa requirements for conduct
- Students wishing to enrol in Te Tohu Paetahi Ako: Bachelor of Education (Teaching) must provide evidence of their ability to successfully pursue and complete a Bachelor degree; and demonstrate an interest or involvement in teaching and learning.
Teaching in Aotearoa, New Zealand
All applicants whose first language is not English must meet the language competencies requirements released by Teaching Council New Zealand on 1 July 2019.
Special entry requirements
- Students who do not meet these criteria, but have special circumstances that warrant further consideration, can be admitted through an interview and assessment process at the discretion of the Head of the School of Undergraduate Studies.
- All students offered placement in a teaching degree will be required to complete a police vetting form. Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi will forward these applications to the New Zealand Police vetting service for processing.
- Numeracy and Literacy competency assessment
- CV and experience working with kōhungahunga or tamariki
- Established computer literacy