COVID-19 Update Friday 12 March 2021

Published date : Fri, 12 March 2021 12:23 PM

COVID-19 Alert Level update

The Auckland Region has joined the rest of Aotearoa at Alert Level 1 from midday Friday 12 March. The Alert Levels will be reviewed by Cabinet as needed.


This is great news for our Auckland whānau, and means our Tāmaki Campus will be able to operate under our Alert Level 1 protocols from Monday 15 March. Operations at our Whakatāne and Whangārei campuses stay the same as previously communicated.  You can read more about our Alert Level 1 approach here

Health and safety protocols must still be adhered to. Check in with your kaiako if you have any pātai regarding these. Protocols include:

  • Always sign-in on campus, including using the NZ COVID Tracer app.
  • Stay home if you’re sick and let your kaiako know.
  • Practice safe hygiene and physical distancing (1 metre at Alert Level 1).


At any Alert Level, kaiako will get in contact with tauira to confirm programme delivery arrangements for their individual programmes, as needed. If programmes need to be postponed for any reason, will to keep tauira informed. Timetabling for noho and marae-based programmes will be communicated to tauira by kaiako and/or marae coordinators as needed. Some may still choose to continue with online delivery.



That all of Aotearoa is under Alert level 1 from midday 12 March is good news for our graduation ceremonies, currently being held on Thursday 25 and Friday 26 March. You can read more about our plans for graduation here.

As previously communicated, graduation will only be able to be held if all of Aoteraoa is under Alert Level 1. If Aotearoa, or individual regions, moves up to Alert Level 2 or higher, graduation may need to be postponed as we have whānau who come from all over the country for this big event and it may not be practical to hold graduation, given the limits on gathering numbers and COVID-19-related health and safety concerns.

For this reason, we need to be prepared to postpone or cancel graduation at short notice, should there be a change in Alert Levels over the next two weeks. We appreciate this may cause some frustration and disappointment, however rest assured we are committed to acting in the best interests of the health and safety of our communities.

Updates will be communicated as needed. Continue to check your emails and follow the Awanuiārangi website and Facebook page for all our updates. Email us at (tauira) and for any pātai you have.   


Thank you for your continued patience and support.


Professor Wiremu Doherty

Chief Executive Officer

Whakapā mai/Contact us

For any Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi related COVID-19 concerns or enquiries please contact us

COVID-19 Response for Tauira
Awanuiārangi Covid-19 Response Team (Tauira)
COVID-19 Response for Kaimahi
Awanuiārangi COVID-19 Response Team (Kaimahi)