Te Pou hono ki Marae Atea (Lvl 4)
Level of Study:
The programme provides tauira with a broad range of skills and knowledge to develop, support and participate in the rituals of the Marae Ātea within marae communities (or equivalent). They will also take responsibility for their own learning and be able to apply knowledge fundamental to marae communities (or equivalent).
The aims of the Te Pou Hono ki Marae Āteaprogramme are to provide tauira with:
- An introduction to understanding the Atua, Tūmatauenga and Rongomātāne and their relationship to Ranginui, Papatuānuku and the marae ātea.
- Understanding the importance of mana whenua on the marae ātea in evaluating, describing and demonstrating a haka pōwhiri, wero or mau rākau.
- The ability to describe, demonstrate a portion of, and reflect on the key components of a karanga or whaikōrero.
- Knowledge and understanding about the roles of leading and supporting the ritual encounters of the marae ātea through mōteatea, waiata tawhito, pātere, pōkeka, kaioraora, waiata or oriori.
Intake Details :
Programme can be either 12, 18 or 36 weeks duration.
Total Fee for 2017:
N.B. For more information regarding fees, please see our fees page.
Entry is open to applicants who meet the following requirements:
It is expected that applicants:
- have a desire to develop and empower marae communities and
- may be required to attend an interview, or if one lives at some distance from Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi campuses, and/or complete a telephone interview.
Special Entry Requirements:
Graduates of this qualification may work in areas where the application of the rituals of the marae ātea are practiced.
Graduates will have skills and knowledge to participate in and contribute to the ritual encounters of the marae ātea.
Graduates will be able to pathway to:
- Te Pōkairua Tikanga (Waka, Rongoā, Te Ara Nunumi, Mātauranga Māori, Māori Development, Rangahau) (Kaupae 5)[Ref 3041]
- Te Pōkairua Reo (Rumaki) (Kaupae 5)[Ref 3048]
- New Zealand Diploma in Tourism Māori (Level 5) [Ref 2339]
- New Zealand Diploma in Business (with strands in Accounting, Administration and Technology, Leadership and Management, and Māori Business and Management and Real Estate) (Level 5) [Ref 2460]
- New Zealand Certificate in Business (Māori Business and Management) (Level 5)[Ref 2712]
- New Zealand Certificate in Whānau Ora (Level 5) [Ref 2781]
- New Zealand Certificate in Kaupapa Māori Public Health (Level 5) [Ref 2871]
- Te Pou Tautoko i te Ora (Kaupae 5) [Ref 2876]
- Te Tipuranga o Te Mokopuna (Kaupae 5)[Ref 2857]
Graduate may be able to pathway to:
- Bachelor of Mātauranga Māori [Ref AW1316]