Skip Navigation LinksHome > Future Students > Enrolment > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What if I need help?

If you need help, please contact us.

Freephone: 0508 92 62 64

What programme should I enrol in?

If you’re having trouble deciding on your course of study, our experienced Student Services team can providing the guidance needed for you to make the right decision about your studies.

What if I change my mind? (About what?)

If you change your mind about the programme/courses you are in or wish to withdraw after your study has already started, we encourage you to complete a Change of Course/Withdrawal form. So you do not incur any penalties, you must fill out the form before you have completed 10% of the programme duration. For a Change of Course/Withdrawal form contact Student Services.

Can I apply for Cross Credit or Recognition of Prior Learning?

You can apply for cross credit or Recognition of Prior Learning for courses passed toward a qualification at either Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi or another recognised tertiary institution. To apply you must complete the relevant form before enrolling in the programme for which you are seeking credit.

What do I need to supply if I have enrolled with Awanuiārangi before?

If you have previously been enrolled with us and have an active National Student Number (NSN), then all you need to supply is a verified photo identification document such as a driver’s licence or passport with your enrolment.

What if I don’t meet the entry requirements?

If you do not meet the specific entry requirements of a programme you may be, at the discretion of the Head of School, granted special entrance through an interview and testing process. To find out more about the entry criteria of your programme, check the ENTRY REQUIREMENTS details in the programmes section of this prospectus, or talk to our Student Services team.

Can I get a Student Loan or Allowance?

This depends on the programme you are enrolled in. Many students are entitled to a StudyLink student loan and some full-time students may qualify for a student allowance. StudyLink has calculators and tools to test your eligibility and what you may be entitled to.

Check out the StudyLink website: or contact them on freephone: 0800 88 99 00.

Where can I get help to apply for a Student Loan or Student Allowance?

The StudyLink process can be complicated, so we offer workshops and advice to our students and can assist with your application. Talk to our Student Services team.

Can I apply for scholarships or grants?

We offer a range of scholarships open to Awanuiārangi students enrolled in full-time degree study. Iwi, hapū and whānau trusts also offer grants to descendants and eligible applicants. Check with your iwi, hapū and whānau trusts regarding scholarships or grants available to you, or talk to our Student Services team.

How do I get a Student ID card?

Once you are accepted into a programme and have paid all fees applicable to your study, you are entitled to a Student ID card. A passport-sized photo must be provided to receive your Student ID card. If you have any questions about this, talk to Student Services.

Is disability support available?

The focus is on enabling all students to participate fully and succeed in the tertiary learning environment. Talk to Awhi Tauira Student Support about practical help and advice they can provide for students with temporary or permanent disability or impairment.

Can I fit my studies around other commitments?

Courses are delivered in a number of ways, including full-time study, part-time study, noho wānanga (on-site stays of several days) and eWānanga online learning. Some programmes are organised so that learning can be done in the evenings or at weekends. For more information and advice contact our Student Services team.