Skip Navigation LinksHome > Current Students > Support > Loans and Allowances

Loans and Allowances


StudyLink is a service of the Ministry of Social Development. It administers student loans and allowances as well as other forms of financial assistance for students. To help you plan your finances use the tools, calculators and information on the StudyLink website.

Student Loans

A Student Loan can help you finance your studies. Remember, it is a loan that you have to pay back, so only take out a loan if you really need it.

To be eligible for a Student Loan you need to be a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident and your course has to be approved by the Tertiary Education Commission. Most domestic students studying a full-time course of at least 12 weeks or studying part-time for the full year qualify for a StudyLink student loan to help pay for tuition and other compulsory fees for books, materials and course-related costs. To be eligible for living costs you’ll also need to be a full-time student (or limited full-time with our approval).

There are three things you will need to consider when applying for a Student Loan. These are:

  • Your compulsory fees;
  • Your course-related costs;
  • Your living costs.
  • How Much Can I Borrow?

Depending on whether you’re studying full-time or part-time you can borrow:

  • Compulsory course fees and
  • up to $1000 per year for course-related costs and
  • up to $172.51 a week for living costs while you’re studying full-time (less any Student Allowance you get).

This figure may change during the year so please check the amount you can borrow for living costs at the Studylink website

An administration fee of $50 is added to your loan the first time you use it.

Telephone: 0800 88 99 00 (Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm)

StudyLink – Student Allowance

A Student Allowance is a weekly payment to help with your living expenses while you study full-time. You don’t have to pay this back. For information, including working out how much you can get for a Student Allowance, check the StudyLink website

Other Services Offered by StudyLink

Here are some other ways StudyLink may be able to help you:

  • Community Services Card
  • Disability Allowance
  • Accommodation Supplement
  • Temporary Additional Support
  • Away from Home Allowance
  • Emergency Assistance
  • Childcare and OSCAR Subsidies
  • Work Start Grant
  • Training Incentive Allowance
  • Student Allowance Transfer Grant

To find out more, visit the StudyLink website or contact StudyLink on Freephone 0800 88 99 00 (Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm).